On Gossip



When I was about 10 years old, my friends and I were chatting in our primary class. One was telling us about a poor decision her brother had made the day before.

When our teacher came in and asked what we were talking about, I asked her if she had heard what the boy had done. 

She looked at us kindly and then said, "Please don't tell me if I don't need to know.  I would hate to always think about something negative every time I thought of him."

Proverbs 31:26 reminds, "She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Avoiding gossip is not only kind to those whose reputations we would be speaking of, but also those who we would be burdening with harsh and unnecessary memories. 

While I didn't get it perfectly and have definitely made mistakes and had to repent over the years, I have always been grateful for that lesson Sister Comstock taught me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement