His Voice



 One year I had a particularly difficult little 4 year old boy in my class.  This kid was everywhere all the time and didn't ever hold still for more than 11 seconds.  I know because I timed him.  

Unless he sat on my lap.  Then he would lean back and relax in safety and use his arms to help mine hold him secure.  So that was generally where he needed to be for us to have a productive circle time.

I often say I'm not very patient, but in truth I'm incredibly patient with little children, I just get less patient with myself and other adults and teens.  I'm working on it. 

One day as I was calming this little guy down by softly talking to him and almost imperceptibly rocking and giving him some needed pressure on his overactive muscles, he leaned back and looked up into my eyes with his forehead on my chin.  "Mrs. Potter, I think your voice must be what God's voice sounds like." Then he snuggled in and I started circle time. 

It was without a doubt the greatest compliment I've ever received. For one tiny instant I had achieved my goal of reflecting His love to these precious souls in my care.  Not by preaching, but by how I lived and loved and interacted with them. 

Now don't worry.  I'm not saying that God's voice sounds like mine. 😂 Unfortunately I know too well of the many, many times others would say my voice has been hurtful.  If you are one of those please forgive me.  

In D&C 18:34-36 the Lord says:

"34 These words are not of men nor of man, but of me; wherefore, you shall testify they are of me and not of man;

35 For it is my voice which speaketh them unto you; for they are given by my Spirit unto you, and by my power you can read them one to another; and save it were by my power you could not have them;

36 Wherefore, you can testify that you have heard my voice, and know my words."

It is His voice.  Do we recognize it? It made me think. 

When you read talks from church leaders do you hear them in their voices? 

People read and process information differently, but I find that I hear them in their voices, with accents and even follow their speaking rhythms and patterns.  Those talks are particularly meaningful to me. 

Of course there are plenty that I don't recognize the person's name and so I just read the words in my own voice.  I can still get positive messages out of them but the better I know the voice and the person, the more powerful the message can be. 

How do we get to know the voice of the Lord? 

By learning of Him. 

By studying His words.  

Sister Michelle Craig counseled, "As you use your agency to carve out time every day to draw close to God’s voice, especially in the Book of Mormon, over time His voice will become clearer and more familiar to you."

By listening to His Spirit. 

By seeking to reflect His love and His words to others.  

I wonder if a great part of the peace He promises us is our ability to learn to say with confidence, "I know that voice.  And I trust it.  All is well, or at least it will be eventually."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement