The Kingdom of God

 



This local story caught my attention and has had me contemplating who and how I serve and share the love of God.


"The Elkhart County Jail Ministry held its first-ever hymn-sing inside the Elkhart County Jail.


A local Amish choir from Middlebury made rounds throughout the jail, singing two hymns in each ward. Hearing the slow, melodic songs reverberating off the concrete walls and ceiling had a calming and soothing effect on all of us.


There were standing ovations, hands raised in worship, men singing along to songs they recognized from their childhood, requests for favorite hymns being shouted from the back of the room...and tears.


This is what the Kingdom of God sounds like."


Why? 


Why were they singing- in spite of their current situation?


Why were they requesting their favorites?


Why were they brought to tears?


Because of the magic of music and how it aids in feeling the Holy Spirit and whispers to our souls truths we once knew. 


Even if life choices and experiences have buried them.


Truths like "I once was lost but now am found", "Take my hand and lead me, Father", and "Praise God from whom all blessings flow."


Or if it were my favorite would be "Fear not, I am with you. Oh, be not dismayed,

For I am your God and will still give you aid;

I'll strengthen you, help you, and cause you to stand,

Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand."


President Dallin H Oaks taught, "Through the miracle of sacred music, the Spirit of the Lord descended upon us, and we were made ready for gospel instruction and worship."


Music transcends differences, crosses language barriers and creeps through the cracks in the walls we have built around our hearts and tender souls.  


What a great example this ministry is using music to quite simply,  share the love of Jesus Christ with ALL who may need it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement