Women and Learning



 On this International Women's Day I honor one of my favorite women, Emma Hale Smith.

Doctrine & Covenants Section 25 is without a doubt my favorite section and has been since I was a teen. 

We have been taught to "liken the scriptures unto us".  While I can find personal relevance and revelation in any scripture with the aide of the Holy Spirit, in this section it feels like the Lord is speaking just to me.

It's easier to relate and tune in because in this beautiful revelation to Emma Smith it is written to a woman.  

Emma Smith is one of the women I admire most. I can relate to her and I think if we had lived as contemporaries, whether in her day or mine, we would have been friends.

Emma was a school teacher.  Her gifts included writing and music and she had a love for learning. She yearned to do right and follow the Lord.

Prior to this revelation,  she has been baptized but not yet confirmed.  Here in verse 8, she is told she will receive the Holy Ghost. 

"...thou shalt receive the Holy Ghost, and thy time shall be given to writing, and to learning much."

Emma understood the importance of study and learning for women. 

Emma wrote, “I desire the spirit of God to know and understand myself, I desire a fruitful, active mind, that I may be able to comprehend the designs of God, when revealed through his servants without doubting.”

I also think women should study and learn and gain understanding for themselves- spiritually and in a myriad of other interests and subjects. After all, we have half the brain power be in the world!  How foolish to not tap into that power and magnificence.  

There are many women in the world who have obstacles in the path of those opportunities.

As President Jean Bingham said today, "“I am thankful for the role that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and many others are playing to improve the lives and develop opportunities for women around the world,” said Sister Bingham. “As leaders, we are in a unique position to influence those who create the policies that will open the doors to education for women and girls. I extend an invitation to each of us to leverage the advantages we enjoy in order to create more opportunities for our sisters around the world.”

May we also encourage and leverage the opportunities of those in our own circles, being mindful of the many variations that the path to learning and education might take. 

And may we, like Emma, take the time to seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit as we use our talents, knowledge and learning to reflect the teachings of Jesus Christ in all we as women do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement