Popcorn Popping

 


The blossoms are exploding across the trees everywhere I look this week.  While ours might be on Bradford Pear and Red Bud trees, rather than apricot trees, I can't help but smile as the melody and lyrics of "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree" plays through my head.

It reminds me of a parable shared with me when I was newly married that paralleled the Parable of the Sower in Matthew 13. 

"Behold at the time of harvest, the ears of corn did bring forth kernels which were dried and prepared for the Popper’s hand. And then it was that the Popper did take the kernels, all that did appear alike unto Him, and applied the oil and the heat.

And it came to pass that when the heat was on, some did explode with promise and did magnify themselves an hundred fold. And some did burst forth with beauty which did both gladden the eye and satisfy the taste of the Popper. And likewise some did pop, but not too much. Behold, there were some that did lie there, and even through the Popper’s heat was alike unto all, some did just bask in the oil and keep everything that they had unto themselves.

And so it came to pass that those which had given of themselves did bring forth much joy and delight to many munchers. But those which kept of the warmth and did not bring forth were only cast into the pail and thought of with hardness and disgust.

And thus we see that in the beginning all appear alike, but when the heat is on, some come forth and give all, while others fail their purpose as chaff, so as to be discarded and forgotten."

To be honest, sometimes I've read this and found myself overly harsh or critical of myself.  I've learned that in those times a parable about grace is probably more appropriate.

But there are other times, like today, in which I could use a little self-evaluation and reflection.  Because I'm pretty sure I've been all the types of popcorn at different times.  

There are times when I get lazy or off-track.  

There are times when I get a little too carried away with holding in my own warmth.

And then there are those times when with the help of the Spirit I catch the vision and promise of all I can be through Jesus Christ and bring what I have and burst forth. I don't worry about if my kernel is bigger or smaller or some other variety than the next guy.  I just gather my steam and find my small talents and abilities multiplied beyond my imagination. 

So perhaps it comes down to this play on Shakespeare, "To pop, or not to pop, that is the question."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement