Sharing the Gospel



 "Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come; and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation."  (D&C 31:3).

These words were spoken to Thomas Marsh in September 1830.

Isaiah 52:7 echoes this message to all: "How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!"

Sometimes it can take courage to share the Good News of Jesus Christ with others.  I have learned through experience though, that sometimes my reservations are because I am trying to force it or trying to take over part of God's job.  All I really need is a willing heart and to be open to promptings to share with no expectations other than friendship and helping others.

In May 2012, I was struggling with what I felt was my failure to be a better missionary.  I couldn't think of anyone to share with.  

I remembered a talk by Elder Uchtdorf in which he encouraged us to share what we know in simple ways.  Even with our thumbs as we text if necessary.  He said, "There are times when the Lord reveals to us things that are intended only for us. Nevertheless, in many, many cases He entrusts a testimony of the truth to those who will share it with others."

So I prayed and told Heavenly Father that he was well aware of my schedule and the people I interacted with.  If he could help me find the time and know who to share with, I would share.

That very week I received a message from my friend Ann.  She lived in my neighborhood growing up.  We rode bikes and sledded and had adventures on "Fort Hill" with all the other kids.  I also hadn't talked to her in more than 18 years.  

She told me that after going through an extremely difficult period of her life, she and her daughters were attending church and meeting with the missionaries.  She wondered if she could ask me some questions about my religion.  

There were plenty of people around her.  She didn't really need me.  I played a very small role in her faith journey then.  But she was an answer to my prayers.  

We chatted about gospel things and life difficulties.  She was baptized and periodically kept me informed of her progress.  Even when things became difficult for her and she found some struggles, like we all do,  she still always shared her bits of faith with me.  I love and admire her greatly for that! 

So never think that to be a missionary you have to have the whole course mapped out.  There are people who you haven't even thought of who may cross your path in the most unexpected and yet rewarding way possible.  

But you might have to humble yourself and ask.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement