Humble Seeker of Happiness



 We are traveling west and as I looked over the map I realized my friend, Patti, lives not far off our route. 

We've taken this route before and each time I think about her.  But this time I reached out and messaged her.  Not only could we stay there, but she would have dinner waiting.  


Watching her come down the sidewalk with a big smile and welcoming me into her arms was a moment of pure joy mixed with a bit of disbelief.  22 years is a long time.


Ella thought it was a bit crazy.  "But these are strangers!"  


By the time we left this morning she agreed she now also had an acquaintance in South Dakota.


People are worth taking the chance on.  It won't always work out.  I have some friendships that have fizzled out.  Others that take a lot of work.  Some that my insensitivity has eroded.  


But this one was beautiful.  I'm so thankful I accepted the assignment to be visiting teaching partners with her so many years ago.  I'm thankful that she sat by me when I was new in the ward.  I'm thankful that Heavenly Father knew we could bless each other's lives.


It reminded me of when Ammon and his brethren were reunited with Alma.  


Alma 27:

16And it came to pass that as Ammon was going forth into the land, that he and his brethren met Alma, over in the place of which has been spoken; and behold, this was a joyful meeting.

17Now the joy of Ammon was so great even that he was full; yea, he was swallowed up in the joy of his God, even to the exhausting of his strength; and he fell again to the earth.

18Now was not this exceeding joy? Behold, this is joy which none receiveth save it be the truly penitent and humble seeker of happiness.


A humble seeker of happiness. That sounds like something I want to be!


It truly is the simple things that bring happiness. In this case it was a plate of lasagna shared after many years apart.  Hearts connecting.  The blessings of friendship and love. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement