Our Great Heritage

 



In 1976,  L Tom Perry reported on the Church's participation in the Bicentennial celebration of the United States of America.



A total of between 7 and 8 million hours of service had been given in cleaning up, serving others in their local communities and coming together to pronounce, "I love America!"


My heart echoes that phrase with a deep-seated appreciation for religious freedom, powerful ideals that we strive to reach such as "all men (and women) are created equal", and the idea that ultimate power and glory belong to Providence, not kings and rulers. 


I wonder on this 4th of July, as I look back over the last 365 days, how my daily life reflects the fervor which I feel today.  I want to use these principles further described by Elder Perry as my guidepost.  I feel Heaven's urging to "perpetuate the gift of our great heritage". 


"Now for a brief moment the pen is in our hand to mark the pages of history. Let us remember the spirit of this glorious celebration with renewed determination to perpetuate the gift of our great heritage. From the dust of an ancient record we hear again the Lord’s declaration to His children: “And now we can behold the decrees of God concerning this land, that it is a land of promise; and whatsoever nation shall possess it shall serve God, or they shall be swept off when the fulness of his wrath shall come upon them. … [For this] is the everlasting decree of God.” (L Tom Perry).


But how do we go about doing that? He explained, "First, to exercise faith in God our Eternal Father and to place our trust in Him as a foundation for all things; second, to have courage to uphold righteousness and be a part of preserving it; third, to be industrious and build for the future; fourth, to learn to sacrifice willingly for a brother or sister in need."


Is it really gratitude if it doesn't inspire me to action? I say that I love America.  Let my life reflect it in this next year, each and every day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement