Small and Simple Things




 Sometimes I fail to appreciate the simplicity of simple truths. 

Like "And thus we see that by small means the Lord can bring about great things." 1 Ne 16:29

Tonight I was walking out the door from work when I was reminded I had agreed to provide childcare for the PTO meeting tonight. 

I genuinely didn't mind but I was tired.  I was thinking some rest would be just the ticket.  Or maybe a mind numbing couple of hours of Netflix. 

But I  made a few phone calls on my way to pick up Ella and got her to her event.

Then with 40 minutes to spare I stopped to visit with a friend who is battling cancer and who in spite of her chemo treatment today laughed with me as we connected and encouraged one another. 

I decided I had earned (it doesn't take much for me!) a milkshake and pulled through the drive thru and got dinner and a raspberry milkshake.  Only it was obviously the kid's first or second day at most and he struggled with my order.  As I pulled away I realized the cup didn't feel like a milkshake.  This kid apparently thought I ordered a raspberry root beer!!🤢. Which is a nasty combination but I silently thanked him for saving me 1100 calories and headed back to the school.  

And then the real magic began.  I played stack and knock down the towers for 30 minutes with one of my kindergartener special needs friends. I had a third grader excitedly share with me what she remembered me teaching her class.  I taught a first grader to play a new game.  

Then I had one of my favorite five year old friends ask me to read her a story.  "En español, por favor."

Her big brown eyes ("just like yours  Mrs Potter!) lit up as she handed me the book and then scrambled up onto my lap and wiggled her self into a comfy position.  The book "the creepy pair of underwear" had her giggling wildly as the bunny character kept trying to get rid of the creepy glowing underwear but they kept resurfacing.  Her giggles refilled me in a way Netflix just can't do.  


And a new generation of parents were able to step up to the plate and bring their enthusiasm and perspective to our school.  


When we lose our life we gain it.  Small and simple things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement