Jesu, Joy of Man's Desire


 I have always loved the beautiful melody of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desire.  I didn't know it's history or lyrics but they spoke to my heart yesterday. 

It was popularized by JS Bach, but actually many people's work came together to allow us to have this masterpiece today. Bach incorporated it into a work celebrating and honoring the pregnancies of Elizabeth and Mary and the coming of the Christ child.

He composed the music to celebrate Jesus as our strength, our Emanuel, God with us.

Johan Schop is said to have originally composed the tune.  Martin Janis then wrote lyrics as part of a 19 stanza piece which translates to Jesus, My Soul's Bliss. Bach took two of the stanzas, added harmonies and orchestrated them.

And here is the beautiful translation:

Blest am I, that I have Jesus!

O how tightly I cling to Him,

so that He delights my heart

when I am sick and sad.

I have Jesus, who loves me

and gives Himself to me as my own;

ah, therefore I will not let go of Jesus,

even if my heart is breaking.

Jesus shall remain my joy,

my heart’s comfort and sap;

Jesus shall fend off all sorrow.

He is the strength of my life,

the delight and sun of my eyes,

the treasure and wonder of my soul;

therefore I will not let Jesus go

out of my heart and sight.

Take a moment and let those words sink in and soothe your soul.  Then listen to the guitar and cello echo those words through the lilting song.  Let your heart be filled with the love and praise of Jesus.  He is our joy always! 

https://youtu.be/KialZHRdD7A 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement