God Bless the People of Ukraine

 



My very first year teaching preschool in Goshen, I met a beautiful little girl with blonde hair and striking blue eyes.  Her mom told me in broken English that they were Ukranian and her daughter knew no English.  


I knelt down and smiled at her and extended my hand.  She shyly stood behind her mom, peeking out and then slowly took my hand and smiled at me.


Over the year she quickly picked up English but as she played she would sing sweetly in her home language.  And when she did my heart would bubble with joy for what she brought to our classroom.  


At the end of the year, her mom gave me this butterfly keychain to thank me for seeing the potential and beauty in her child and helping her emerge from her "cocoon".  It's still on my keychain to remind me every single day to look for the good and beauty in others and to remember that God isn't done with me yet either.  


This week every time I see it, I think of my sweet girl and her family still in Ukraine.  Family who is having their own children's emergence disrupted by evil and terror.  And my heart hurts for them.


Some might ask where God is in a situation like this.  I will tell you where he is.  Right there with them. 


Weeping.  


Moses 7:37 " and the whole heavens shall weep over them, even all the workmanship of mine hands; wherefore should not the heavens weep, seeing these shall suffer"


Upholding.


Psalm  145:14 "The LORD upholdeth all that fall, and raiseth up all those that be bowed down."


Angry. 


Genesis 6:27 "Repent, for thus saith the LORD, I am angry with this people, and my fierce anger is kindled against them; for their hearts have waxed hard, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes cannot see afar off."


Offering refuge.


Psalm 9:9 "The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.

10And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee."


Calling on us to join in prayer and to add light to the darkness so prevalent today.


3 Ne 4:30 "... they did rejoice and cry again with one voice, saying: May the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, protect this people in righteousness, so long as they shall call on the name of their God for protection."


The sheer atrocity of this horror, driven by greed and thirst for power and vengeance is abhorrent.  


But what I do know is that our Heavenly Parents are absolutely aware of each and every person in harms way and each and every person engaged in battle.  Nothing takes God by surprise, and Jesus Christ has already suffered  to know exactly how to succor each of those suffering, hurt or afraid. Especially as they rise and stand to defend their freedom. 


And this butterfly will always be among my most treasured possessions.  God bless the people of Ukraine! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement