Refining

 



Today I was at an Easter event learning how to make Ukranian Easter eggs called pysanka.  


It is a complicated process which takes multiple steps of carefully heating a tool that you dip in beeswax and then then applying the wax in the patterns you desire one layer at a time.  


I carefully drew my first layer on the white and then died the egg yellow.  


Then I added another layer and died the egg orange.  


Finally I added one more layer and died the egg a vibrant pink.  


I was feeling proud of my progress on my very first egg which had taken nearly 2 hours to complete.


For the finishing stage each artist takes their egg and holds it into a candle flame to heat the wax and uses tissues to wipe off the melted wax.


I sat down and proceeded to hold my egg into the flame.  As I did so I watched the gentleman at our table who had already been revealing his and commented on the beauty.


Then I looked down to see my egg covered in black soot.


Based on my life experience, things that are put into fires and come out black and smoky are burned and often ruined.


I was disheartened and the other three people at my table agreed I had messed up and must have held my egg to close to the flame or for too long.  


I wanted to throw my egg out and quit.  


But I didn't want to hurt the instructor's feelings so I decided to save the other half of the egg and began slowly but surely melting bits of wax and wiping it clean.


At first it seemed nearly pointless and like I was just smearing the blackness.


But as I get better at finding the best spot in the flame and holding my egg just so, the blackness began to wipe away and the beautiful layers of color emerged.  


I had listened to three very nice people, but who had no more experience than I and who were basing their judgment on limited experience.  


So was I.


Sometimes  life feels like it's getting all smoky and marred by black smudges and burns.  


It's then that we may feel like giving up.


We may even listen to others who with their limited experience and vision agree that it's hopeless for us.  


We may also have Satan encouraging these voices and wanting us to abandon the fight.


Don't listen.  Keep going.  


It may be awkward or painful as we are thrust into the heat but our beautiful colors and intricate patterns will be revealed.


President James E Faust shared, "In the pain, the agony, and the heroic endeavors of life, we pass through a refiner’s fire, and the insignificant and the unimportant in our lives can melt away like dross and make our faith bright, intact, and strong. In this way the divine image can be mirrored from the soul. It is part of the purging toll exacted of some to become acquainted with God. In the agonies of life, we seem to listen better to the faint, godly whisperings of the Divine Shepherd."


Often that heat serves a beautiful purpose.  


It can change our hearts and uncover the divine destiny etched into our souls.  


We matter far more than we realize and were created for great things.  


Each and every one of us.  


Trust the process and the refiner.  


And let beauty shine.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement