Presence


 


Today was preschool graduation and as the director,  I get the privilege of speaking to the parents for a moment and announcing all the children's names.


I looked at all the polished shoes and pigtails with bows, the carefully gelled hair and the little giggles as they sang their Brown Bear chant.  


I looked at all the parents with their eyes overflowing with love as kids excitedly called out "That's my Daddy!".  And my heart smiled. 


This year one message kept coming to mind again and again. 


What kids really need is for their parents' presence, not presents.


As I asked children what they wanted to put on their summer bucket lists the results were telling.


Go to the park.

Read a story.

Play tag.

Have a nerf war.

Color.


And most touching of all- 


Eat a popsicle with my whole family.  And no phones.  


What kids want is actually what grownups want too.


Time.  


With in-person contact and authentic relationship building.


It matters.  


As disciples of Jesus Christ we claim to follow Him.   


In 3 Ne is this account of the Savior and the children.  


"So they brought their little children and set them down upon the ground round about him, and Jesus stood in the midst"


He stood in the midst.  Among them.   Focused on them.   Real time and presence. 


Perhaps it would be a good time for all of us (including me!) to remember as I urged parents today to be part of the memories and not just recording them. ❤️


And the best part is the rewards in hugs and laughter and learning together are priceless.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement