A Christian

 



"....oh,  because you're a Christian....", a friend rolled her eyes as she flippantly said the words.


It's one of the arguments or responses that I do grow weary of.


No, I don't think I'm better than you.   In fact I fiercely believe that Jesus Christ loved and suffered and died for you every bit as much as for me. 


No, I don't follow His counsel to show how good I am.  But because I trust Him.  I believe it is wise and prudent to follow His counsel.


No, I don't have some hidden agenda.  Treating people with love and serving others feels like the right way to live.


It can be difficult to share what drives my faith, when Satan wants us to find ways to weaponize it.  


I echo the words which Maya Angelou penned:

“I Am A Christian” 


When I say … “I am a Christian”

I’m not shouting “I’m clean livin’.”

I’m whispering “I was lost,

Now I’m found and forgiven.”


When I say … “I am a Christian”

I don’t speak of this with pride.

I’m confessing that I stumble

and need Christ to be my guide.


When I say … “I am a Christian”

I’m not trying to be strong.

I’m professing that I’m weak

And need His strength to carry on.


When I say … “I am a Christian”

I’m not bragging of success.

I’m admitting I have failed

And need God to clean my mess.


When I say … “I am a Christian”

I’m not claiming to be perfect,

My flaws are far too visible

But, God believes I am worth it.


When I say … “I am a Christian”

I still feel the sting of pain.

I have my share of heartaches

So I call upon His name.


When I say … “I am a Christian”

I’m not holier than thou,

I’m just a simple sinner

Who received God’s good grace, somehow



I too received His grace.  I need it daily if not hourly.  I need his strength, his forgiveness, his mercy, his love.  


It's not about being "good".  


It's about being His. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement