Challenges

 



My surgery on my knee went very well this week.


In fact, the pain that had been ever-present for the last two months is now gone, where he removed the torn piece of cartilage.


But I do now have new pain at my incisions and have to be patient and careful as I allow it to heal.  While I am allowed to stand and walk on it, when I feel the swelling straining at the stitches I know I need to get it elevated again.


Sometimes I do get tired of being sick or injured so often.  That weariness is real.  And I know my family deals with me complaining too much. 


I really felt a closeness to Sister Patricia Holland this week.  She had Elder Holland spoke of their own significant recent health challenges .  She said, "I have felt like everything I have done that’s been a challenge has driven me closer and closer to the Lord — everything,”


I am not quite as good of a person as Sister Holland.  I would have to say that there were times I had to go kicking and screaming, and a few times where I actually let my challenges take me further from the Lord.  


But this I do know.  That when I let it drive me closer, I am blessed.  


I find new ways to serve and teach.  


I find moments to reflect and pray that perhaps I wouldn't if all was well.


And as Elder Holland discussed, the concept of "earned empathy" is a marvelous one which enables us to love and serve more like the Savior than could ever be imagined.  


So if the cost of knowing and growing close to the Lord is some mortal suffering, then I accept that.  I don't have to love it, but I also don't want to waste it. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement