Donuts

 



I entered the post office this morning with my arms loaded down with packages ready to drop off.  I'm there regularly so the postal clerks are fairly familiar.  


We exchanged quick nods and I began to turn to leave, but I saw the clerk's eyes light up and couldn't help but pause and watch to see what was happening.


An elderly gentleman dressed in simple denim shorts and a well-worn but very comfortable looking polo shirt approached the counter carrying a small tray of donuts.


Another clerk quickly joined this one and I am telling you I could FEEL the warmth and love in that post office.  Clerk one gushed over them and assured him it hadn't been necessary.


He thanked them for their service and especially for their positive and cheerful attitude and told them to have a great day. And then he turned and left.


Curious and because there was no line in the post office, I approached the counter and asked for more details.


It turns out this man is an attorney in town who recognizes the value of  the post office, and particularly the clerks.  While the rest of the week other employees pick up the office mail, this man comes to thank them every Saturday with some donuts and kind words.


It's a little thing.  And his way of noticing what others do and showing gratitude.  


Elder M Russell Ballard encouraged us to notice more and say thank you -often.  


I wonder who in my life I need to show more gratitude toward.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement