Jesus Hugs



 I walked into school with concerns for a close friend's granddaughter fresh in my mind.  


I quickly dropped my stuff off in my room

and headed to my usual post at what is called the "Hallway of Doom".  It's a long hallway all but screaming COME AND RUN!  Skip on my squares.  Hide in all the alcoves and jump out at your friends.  First wash your hands in the bathroom and then try to touch every single coat hook on your way down the hall to the cafeteria.  After the other 400 students do the same thing.   If you can knock down  coats it earns bonus points.  


And it's my job to monitor where that hall intersects with the main one.


It's a job I love.  Because I get to do daily checkins with so many students and help ensure that they start the day right.  And I'm pretty much just a 47 year old kid.  Who may or may not sometimes skip on the tiles.😊


Only today my little first grade friend came up to me and said, "I heard you like to start your day with a hug.  And you look like you need one."  She threw her arms around me and I accepted her offering with complete gratitude.


And it was a Jesus hug.  


The kind that makes me feel loved and accepted and reassured and safe. 


As the poem by Jan McIntosh says:


"A “Jesus hug” is different, 

As far as hugging goes; 

It’s a little taste of Heaven, 

Here on earth below. 

Only those who love the Lord, 

Can give a “Jesus hug”; 

It conveys God’s grace and mercy, 

And unconditional love."


Lehi said, “I am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love”.


Today I felt his love through the arms of a six year old. ❤️


Artwork by David Bowman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement