Outcasts

 



Sometimes I admit to tiring of 4th grade drama.  


Which makes recess duty frustrating.  


We've had a quite a run of it lately.  But I remind myself that is WHY I am there.  To keep them safe and guide them.


Their emotions are often highs and lows as they struggle to figure out these unfamiliar hormones and become more aware of their roles in social interactions.


Today I caught sight of a boy with his hood over his face lined up early.  His slumped shoulders let me know something was amiss.


I approached and asked if he was okay. He looked up with tears rolling down his cheeks and said he had tried to play soccer but it was "as if he didn't exist".  No one passed the ball or even acknowledged him.


The hurt was etched in his eyes.  A hurt I recognized because I've felt it before and seen many others reflect the same.  


Sometimes I've even caused it. 😔


I offered my arm and he leaned in for a side hug. And continued to sob. Then another student approached. 


"Why is he crying?"


I glanced at my friend to seek permission and give him the opportunity to respond.  He motioned for me to answer.


So I repeated his words.  And the other student paused and with compassion replied, "I didn't know you were feeling like that.  I'm sorry.  I didn't pay attention. "


He stretched his hand out to his teary classmate and looked to me for help.  


I asked if he could maybe play soccer with them again.


Soon this young athlete had rallied the other players around this  boy and they all began playing.


As the whistle blew I told our athletic friend that I was proud of him.  He had forgotten himself and his accomplishments long enough to encourage and help another.  


He beamed and said, "We even helped him score a goal!"   


Elder Dieter F Uchtdorf proclaimed, "And what is the cause of Christ? It is to believe in Him, love as He loved, and do as He did.

Jesus “went about doing good.”(  Acts 10:38 ) He walked among the poor, the outcast, the sick, and the ashamed. He ministered to the powerless, the weak, and the friendless. He spent time with them; He spoke with them. “And he healed them all.”


Is there someone around you is feeling ignored, invisible or as if they don't exist? 


Are you "not paying attention" or  perhaps giving too much attention to fake lives on devices and not enough to the real lives in front of us?" 


Come.  Follow Christ.  Reach out a hand.  Lend a listening ear.  Smile.  Forgive.  Love.


And if you are the one feeling overlooked and undervalued - don't give up.  You are loved.  And there is a place at my table.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement