Sacrifice




 "Mom, the party is from 6:30-11:30 in Granger (45 min from us).  Can you drive?"


I firmly believe that it has ALWAYS been worth it to drive our kids where necessary so that they can gather with kids with shared values in safe environments.  


Sometimes that means hosting, tonight it meant I got the late shift.


Elisabeth Elliott wrote, "We are not often called to great sacrifice, but daily we are presented with the chance to make small

ones."


This from a woman who gave of her time and means to serve as a missionary in Ecuador where her husband was speared to death in 1956.  


Talk about a sacrifice! 


Do I love driving late at night? No.


Did I have to change my schedule? Yes.


Does it take time and money? Yes.


Did I get to watch the kids hiding in bushes with glow sticks? Yes.


Did I get to hear the giggles and friendship of these kids for the whole ride home? Yes!


Did the kids graciously thank me? Absolutely! 


A story read.  A teen picked up.  A call to a friend.  A turn to clean the church.  Dinner made with a smile.  A compliment to a coworker.  An extra duty or chore.  Letting someone else go first.  Not having to have the last word. 


D&C teaches that we are to "keep our covenants by sacrifice".  


It's SUPPOSED to require us giving up something.


And we won't always feel the results and blessings as immediately as I did tonight.  


But we can rest in the secure knowledgethat they will be consecrated for our good.


One little sacrifice at a time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement