Laughter

 


It was the second full moon of the month and the Friday leading into a 3-day weekend, and the building behaviors were living up to the dire predictions.


The Nest, my space for helping redirect kids BEFORE they get out of hand, was hopping with 7th and 8th graders.  


I had had some tears, some anger, some frustration, lots of girl drama and boys horseplay gone too far.  


But every single student had left ready to return to class and back on track.  


And then one young man was sent down for challenging another to a fight.


He came in and looked around suspiciously.


I introduced myself and asked if he had had anything to eat today.  Did he need a drink?  Did he get enough sleep last night?


He really looked confused but answered and took a seat at my table.


Then I asked what had happened.  


He looked around and then pulled out two cafeteria cookies and $3 and pushed them across the table in front of him and said "let's just make this go away."


I couldn't help it.  I started to laugh.


And then so did he.  And it was such a welcome release.  


He still can't challenge kids to physical fights at school.  


But I called down the other student and they worked it out.  And then I took them up to make it right  with their teacher and messages their parents to let them know they had handled it well after making some mistakes.  


I certainly could have come down on the kid for attempted bribery.


But like Elder Joseph B Worthlin said, "The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable”.


And lets face it, I need more than $3 and cookies for a Junior High bribe to be considered! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement