Pole Beans


 


Anyone who has followed me, knows us or has seen our meager garden would know we aren’t adept gardeners.


We both grew up with parents who were gardening experts.


But skills built by thousands of hours of practice and effort don’t magically float their way to the next generation.....but that’s a lesson for another day.


This year we were planting out of seeds left from last year’s failed efforts and George had planted the beans and carefully placed the stakes and wires for the beans to climb.


Only they didn’t.


They grew about 18” and appeared to give up.


We waited and waited and decided we had failed again.


But then I looked closer and discovered the plants were loaded with beautiful long green beans.


Those of you who are adept at this craft probably already figured it out, but we had planted bush beans.  In the past we had only planted pole beans so it’s all we had considered.


And because we were measuring the plant’s worth by our own faulty expectations we nearly missed the bounty these have provided already.


How often do we measure others’ contributions and worth by a false ideal or standard in our mind, instead of simply finding and appreciating their fruits?


Or perhaps even fail to see our own bountiful fruits because we are trying to be something we aren’t? 


What does God say about this? In 1 Samuel 16:7 we read:


 But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.


Now, I have never falsely assumed I was a pole bean. 


But I have compared my efforts to a triathlon athlete.  And shockingly rated myself extremely poorly.  


Or a Pinterest worthy crafter.  And remembered why preschool was my jam. 


At those moments it’s hard to remember I wasn’t created to be a triathlon competitor, but I can be healthy and walk and talk with friends.


And I can take beautiful pictures of others’ designs and uplift others.


If I mistakenly measure my husband by his speed, I become far too critical and miss out on the beauty and strength of the home and environment he is building for us at his own pace.


Or judge him as a conversationalist  (which he will openly tell you he is NOT) and miss out on his ability to connect one-on-one with a few key people and to share deep and funny insights missed by those of us rushing through life.  


Each of us has divinely unique and royal potential and gifts to contribute.  


So don’t miss the fruit of hearts, by assuming we should all be pole beans.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement