Hearken



 One day, several years ago I was called into a classroom to help with the behavior of a particular little boy who was being unruly and contrary.  As I observed, sure enough his teacher was giving him instructions and he appeared to be completely ignoring her.  She was becoming exasperated and with a bit of an edge on her voice said, "You aren't listening."

I watched his nonchalant shrug and half smile with interest and quietly sat next to him.  "You are listening, aren't you?"

"Yeah.  I can hear her but I don't really want to do it."  

I helped coach the teacher (and have helped many parents with this, although I forget myself at times) to use better phrasing of what she expected.  The next day when I came in I saw her drop to his level and say, "I need you to take these supplies to your table like I asked." He paused, sighed and did as he was asked.  She said, "Thank you for listening and doing what I said."  He looked back with a smile and gave her a thumbs up. 

Today begins our study of the Doctrine of Covenants.  I made it exactly one word into the reading before I stopped to study more.

The first word is "hearken".  

That word is used 314 times in the scriptures.

The lyrics to a song from my seminary days comes to mind "I must hear and hearken, read and then obey."

It means to listen attentively.  King Benjamin added this in Mosiah 2:9:

"You that can hear my words which I shall speak unto you this day; for I have not commanded you to come up hither to trifle with the words which I shall speak, but that you should hearken unto me, and open your ears that ye may hear, and your hearts that ye may understand, and your minds that the mysteries of God may be unfolded to your view”.

We need to be listening for answers and ready to act.   He didn't give us the scriptures because we had a free hour on Sundays that needed filled.  He gave us the scriptures, including the Doctrine & Covenants, to help us.  

God has made it very clear that while we don't have to be perfect, we do need to listen attentively with the intention of following through.  Our own personal revelation will guide us in what particular steps we should each take next but only as we listen to and act on and put his promises to the test.

Sometimes I may have to catch myself being the little child saying, "I hear you but I don't really want to do it."  I have to with humility try again, and take steps back toward Him knowing that He is there waiting to guide me with love.  

As I approach this year of study I am committing myself to more action upon hearing and understanding his word.  I invite you to join me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement