Arms of Love

 In D&C 6:20 Jesus says, "Be faithful and diligent in keeping the commandments of God, and I will encircle thee in the arms of my love."

In my mind I guess I thought diligent meant "keeping at it"  or that you follow through and don't quit.  

But here is something new I learned- the word's origin actually means "to love or take delight in".

I'll be honest.  Loving some of the commandments is easy.  Some of the others are much harder to learn to love.  And chances are your easiest and hardest are different than mine.  

But if we are full of faith and take delight in and love the  commandments God gives us, His love will make a circle of protection around us.

Now when I use the word protection I don't mean from having bad things happen.  You can guarantee they will.  But His love can protect us from letting those things destroy  or crush our spirits.

Learning to recognize the loving arms of our Savior in our lives may be easier at some times than others.  Some may feel it through music or art, others in nature or quiet reflection.  Some may find it in the words or kindness of another person.  Some in scripture and some simply in feelings.  He also expects us to use the past experiences we have had with the Spirit to draw back on and keep us going in more difficult times. 

Kathleen H Hughes taught, "I recognize how true it is that life often feels like a great pile of obligations, frustrations, and disappointments. But the Lord is there, always the same, His arms still outstretched. When we feel overwhelmed, we have to remember the peace He has spoken to us on previous occasions. His peace brings comfort and strength; the world cannot give that to us."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement