The Hearts of the Children

 



When my great-great grandfather was out logging one day his horse fainted and fell upon him driving his axe into his chest just above his heart.  He had to ride back out on the log bed and then hike another 2 miles to their remote home collapsing in the kitchen.

His wife, seeing his boots pooling with blood and the 5" gash in his chest knew only that she must stop the bleeding.  I imagine she was uttering prayers as she looked around the kitchen, told her daughter to get flour from the nearby bins and proceeded to pour it into the wound. The flour helped it clot and the bleeding stopped.  

Within a few months he had regained his strength and was back on the mountain cutting timber. 

I have a shelf full of stories, books and collections of my ancestors' stories.  I've glanced through them at times.  And dutifully added them to the shelf each time a new volume is assembled by a relative.  I am blessed in that regard. 

Many people would love to have this much information available. There are also thousands of stories available online or ancestors to call and ask.  

But if all they do is collect dust on my shelves, what good are they? 

That is the thought I had as I was reading about "the hearts of the children turning to their fathers."

What might I learn about myself?  What wisdom could be gleaned from those who have gone through their own difficult times and emerged with their faith intact? 

Well for one thing, I learned from the story of my Great-Great-Grandfather today in my reading, that there will be many times when while I am praying I may have to walk another mile or improvise with flour.  

I've learned of scoundrels who misused their gifts or lost the battle with their vices and the pain and misery that followed.  

I've learned of human spirit that doesn't quit.  

I've learned that I come from a long line of characters that each help me understand my family and my own children.

I've learned that the pull of my ancestors' stories tells a bigger tale- of how we are all connected and the promise that the blessings of eternity offer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement