Bang For Your Buck




 When I first started teaching in my current school district and found out that I would have four evaluations by leadership members each year I was apprehensive and nervous. 

I was handed a rubric and told we would be breaking it down and learning about it in our professional meetings. I opened it and discovered 19 areas with a total of 105 characteristics that I would be judged on.

And I just about got up and left.  At the first professional development meeting our master teacher presented on just one of those 105.  We reflected on some questions and did a couple of practice activities to explore possible ways we could tweak our teaching in small ways that week.

In my zealousness and desire to do well at my job I tried working on everything at once and got very frustrated, very tired, and very confused.  And then I wanted to scrap it all. 

But then I had my first evaluation.  My evaluator worked with me to identify one of the 19 areas that was a strength to focus on for the next few months and one area that could use some work.  

"What about all these others?" I asked.  

"We will get there," she said.  "It's a process not a race.  Now let's pick the one that will give you the most bang for your buck in your classroom."

Her experience and insights allowed her to help me choose one that ultimately impacted multiple areas in a domino effect.  And I learned a great lesson. 

D&C 15 contains a revelation given to John Whitmer.  He wants to know what he can personally do to help the work.  But as part of that,  look at what the Lord says in verses 4-5:

"For many times you have desired of me to know that which would be of the most worth unto you.

Behold, blessed are you for this thing, and for speaking my words which I have given you according to my commandments."

John had wondered which of all the things he could do would be the most valuable to him. 

What a great question!! 

"Lord, there are so many things I could be working on or trying to come closer to you in. But which would most bless me and my family right now?"

And the Lord told him not only was it okay to ask it but he was blessed for it! 

And so will we be.  And what better mentor to use His divine experience and personal knowledge of us to help guide us.  I can almost hear him saying, "It's a process not a race.  Now let's pick the one with the most bang for your buck."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement