Last Words



 As my friend Julie's  boys sat in the ICU this week spending time with and saying goodbye to their dad, they cracked his phone password and looked through his last texts and pictures.


He had ten years worth of photos of the things that were most important to him.


Beautiful memories as families.  Inside jokes.  Music. Friends.  Beauty. 


He had no warning.  The congenital defect which triggered the massive stroke could have happened at any time.


But on the day it did his phone was full of genuine affection, positive memories and his goodness.  Just like his heart. 


What a legacy.  


What a good way to live.  Always holding onto the precious memories.  Deleting hurtful words.  


Alma 34:31-32 reads, "Yea, I would that ye would come forth and harden not your hearts any longer; for behold, now is the time and the day of your salvation; and therefore, if ye will repent and harden not your hearts, immediately shall the great plan of redemption be brought about unto you.

For  behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors."


It makes me wonder.  What will be on my phone?   What will be in my heart?  What message will I have left? 


Would I want my last words to be my last words? 


I guess the best way to make sure that they are is to never leave a kind word, an apology, gratitude or encouragement unsaid.  And to intentionally create memories and conversations worth remembering.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement