The Widow's Mite



I will always remember the Valentine's Day when one sweet little boy taught me about the true joy in giving.

He came from a deeply impoverished home and had joined our classroom just that week.

His dad had abandoned his mom and siblings and she was struggling to provide even the most basic of necessities.  

He spoke only a few words of broken English, so I didn't think he would understand how our class valentines even worked. 

But I was sure he would be excited to see the treats and bright cards from his classmates and watched with eager anticipation. 

When I showed him his box, his eyes lit up and he picked up the first two pieces of candy and looked at them carefully.

But then he walked to the nearest classmate's box and dropped a piece in.  Back and forth he went delivering his candy to his new friends so that he could give too. 

With tears in my eyes I gave him a hug and pulled an extra package of valentines out of the cupboard for him.  I believe every child should be allowed to participate as long as I have the means and ability to allow it.  

I had my assistant work with the other students while I spent the next hour helping guide his untrained hand in forming the letters of each classmate.  Then he made one for me.

With each completed card, he would run to that box and drop it in, clapping his hands in joy and jumping up and down, his smile lighting up his whole face.

Much like the widow who cast in her two mites, this boy who had nothing knew that you are never truly poor in heart so long as you can give - and he gave all he had in love. 

Mark 12:44

"For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement