Callings



 Yesterday this book arrived in the mail.  One of the last projects my Grandma Holderness was working on before her death was this book.  She wanted to share the miracles she had seen in her life with her posterity.  Before she died she asked my mom and my aunt to make sure the project was completed. They have now fulfilled that promise. 

One miracle that she wrote about, and which I remember her personally telling about, is when she was praying to Heavenly Father asking Him to help her find and use the time to increase her scripture study.  

A short time later she received a calling to be a seminary teacher.  The timing and details of her life at the time made it seem like an impossibility for her to accept.  Logically and on the surface it seemed like she should decline and she was sure my grandpa who was not a member of our faith would not support it.

But then she realized it could be the direct answer to her prayer.  And my grandpa not only supported it but agreed to shift some duties to make it happen.  They were all blessed and that consecrated time to study brought her many answers to challenges and helped her draw closer to the Lord.

I've thought of that incident many times.  It came to mind again while reading about Emma's calling to compile a hymn book this week.  And then Grandma's book arrived and made me really ponder it. 

In D&C 25:11 Emma is told "And it shall be given thee, also, to make a selection of sacred hymns"

"It shall be given thee"

Do we always remember that a calling can be a gift from the Lord if we are willing to see it as such and learn and grow? I have had callings where I took advantage of that and exercised faith, and callings where for a variety of reasons I have squandered those opportunities.  Thank goodness new opportunities still come! 

(There have also been times when I needed to ask for help and changes because we can't run faster than we have strength.  This isn't a post about serving to death, but rather not missing inspired opportunities and answers to prayers that come differently than expected.)

Sometimes while I am praying for divine assistance I neglect to see the form those answers are being sent in.  And one of those is to remember and recognize that callings can be gifts from Heavenly Father that directly or indirectly answer our prayers.

Book Cover Artwork by Robin C Beadles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement