Reading

 


Beverly Cleary died today.

She leaves quite the legacy.  

I loved her books as a child.  And I loved them as an adult reading to my children and students. 

She shared, "I had a very wise mother. She always kept books that were my grade level in our house."

My parents also made sure we had good books that spanned the reading levels in our home.

Did you know that William W Phelps was called, "... to assist my servant Oliver Cowdery to do the work of printing, and of selecting and writing books for schools in this church, that little children also may receive instruction before me as is pleasing unto me." (D&C 55:4)

The Lord sees good books for children as important.

One of the most fascinating parts of teaching languages to children is that there seems to be something truly magical about a parent reading to their child in their native tongue that can't be replicated in any other way.  I had the honor and pleasure of being part of an example of this two years ago.  Using funds secured through a private grant, we carefully selected and then purchased a copy of the same book for each family at our school in their home language.  Then we read one chapter each night with our families in our homes and had follow up activities at school. 

It took the place of all other homework for that time period and was a beautiful thing.  One single dad reported feeling more connected with his young daughter than he ever had.  Another mom said it was like remembering the magic and excitement of when her 4th and 5th graders were toddlers.  Comprehension and application scores increased significantly.  

Reading is truly the gateway to education and opportunity, but also can be a catalyst for building relationships.  If you want to make a difference, find a child you can read to.  Children are made readers on the laps of those they love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement