Stay On Course

 


We have now lived in Northern Indiana for 8 years.  We have flown in and out of Chicago countless times.  But two weeks ago when Alex and I returned from a weekend college visit,  I was really tired and it was dark.  I set my GPS to navigate home but since Alex was listening to an online class, I turned the volume down so the GPS volume wouldn't  interfere.  Then when my phone slipped and landed on the floor, instead of picking it up I just kept driving.  

I also didn't account for a large accident on the tollway.  So I had to take I-94 instead of I-90.  I knew that I would need to get off on Highway 20 to get home but I not only have no sense of direction, I'm also terrible at judging distances.  

So I just followed the car in front of me.  I know.  It's not a great driving strategy and it's one that has driven me to lots of wrong places before.  I figured if I went too far the GPS would tell me how to get back. 

As traffic became more and more sparse I felt like something was a bit off. But I kept going. 

As the road signs became less familiar I questioned my route. But I kept going.

Finally, I asked Alex to double check the GPS and with frustration she exclaimed, "Mom! You are following the shoreline of Lake Michigan! We are almost to Kalamazoo!"

I was in the wrong state again!  It cost us an extra hour and was annoying.  When will I learn? 

But here is the thing.  Most of the time I start to feel like something is off but I just keep going, hoping it will work out.  Which is foolish.  

In our spiritual lives do we ever do that? 

D&C 29 this week says

"Listen to the voice of Jesus Christ, your Redeemer, the Great I Am, whose arm of mercy hath atoned for your sins;" 

Listen to me.  I'm the one who made your redemption possible.  

2 Who will gather his people even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, even as many as will hearken to my voice and humble themselves before me, and call upon me in mighty prayer.

I will gather everyone who listens, obeys and humbly comes to me in prayer. 

3 Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, that at this time your sins are forgiven you, therefore ye receive these things; but remember to sin no more, lest perils shall come upon you.

Remember that even though you are forgiven now,  you have to remember and stay alert or difficulties and consequences will come.  Not necessarily because God will inflict them on us, but because that is the natural consequence of sin.  Stepping away from God also steps us away from His promises and protections. 

Do we sense something is wrong but just keep going? Or even worse just follow the person in front of us without considering the end destination?

Brigham Young warned, "There are men in this kingdom who cannot discriminate between that which is of God and that which is not of him, and who are at a loss to know how far to go and not sin. The very moment you have a doubt upon your mind that what you do is not exactly right, then stop and pursue that course which you know is right, and in which you can enjoy the clear, warm, cheering, peaceful influence which cometh from God as an earnest that you are doing right, then shall you be blessed in all your works here below, and fill up your days in usefulness."

Is it time to make a U-turn and get help to get back on track? That's exactly what the Savior is asking us to do.  So step back into His warmth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement