Via Dolorosa

 


Christ's route through Jerusalem and to his crucifixion was along a path which has been called Via Dolorosa, or "sorrowful way."

The route leads to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and along the way historical stations of the cross celebrate and bring remembrance to important and meaningful events and encounters of Jesus Christ's last days.  

This week Ella and I joined friends for a local outdoor walk through the stations of the cross.  

It was a pleasant evening and signs of life along the wooded trail seemed to be the perfect backdrop to take some quiet moments and reflect on the greatest gift ever given.

Each individual station had a prayer and a reflection, but what really moved me was the parallel way in which Jesus has been at each station of my life.  And promises to be at yours.

He has wiped my tears of exhaustion and fear.  

He has upheld me through agonizing pain and discomfort.  

He has celebrated my joys, filled my heart with love and taught me to forgive.  

He has been there when I have been betrayed, let down and disappointed.  

I have felt him cheering me on and strengthening me.  

He has loved me when I have given up, and forgiven me more times than I can count.  

Quite simply, and yet profoundly, he has saved me.  

I echo the words of Mary Magdalene in THE CHOSEN, "I was one way; and now I am completely different. And the thing that happened in between was Him."

As Elder Holland pleaded, "This Easter week and always, may we stand by Jesus Christ “at all times and in all things, and in all places that [we] may be in, even until death,” for surely that is how He stood by us when it was unto death and when He had to stand entirely and utterly alone."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement