Bluebonnets

 


I have wanted to see the Texas bluebonnets for years and today that little dream came true. 

I love that people keep planting them for others to enjoy and all the people out with families and animals to take pictures.  I was fortunate to go with some friends. 

Some simple research came up with several different options for the legends of bluebonnets and this was my favorite:

"The Legend of the Bluebonnet retells an old Texas tale about an unselfish young girl who loved the people of her Native American tribe so much that she sacrificed the most precious thing she had to help end the drought. Young She-Who-Is-Alone had lost her entire family to the drought that was plaguing the Comanche people. All she had to remember them by was a special doll that her parents had made for her.

When the shaman said that the Great Spirits were angry with the selfishness of the people and would end the drought if the people would sacrifice their most valued possessions, the people hesitated. "I'm sure it's not my new bow that the Great Spirits want... Or my special blanket." Only little She-Who-Is- Alone was willing to make the sacrifice to help her people. She snuck away at night, built a small fire, sacrificed her doll, and sent the ashes off in the wind. When she woke up the next morning, the once parched countryside was covered with blue flowers and the rain began to fall. The people recognized her sacrifice and from then on, she was known as One-Who-Dearly-Loved-Her-People. (https://www.the-best-childrens-books.org/The-Legend-of-the-Bluebonnet.html)."

While this is just a legend, it is a truth that when we are willing to make sacrifices for others, or the good of our families and communities, we will often find amazing blessings in store. 

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself. …For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it." Matthew 16:24–25

As Elder Dallin H Oaks so wisely stated, "Truly, our lives of service and sacrifice are the most appropriate expressions of our commitment to serve the Master and our fellowmen."

I think I will always remember that whenever I think of bluebonnets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement