My Choice



 Even when giving direct inspiration God allows us our agency to determine whether and how we choose to follow it. 

D&C 37:4 clearly states this:

"Behold, here is wisdom, and let every man choose for himself until I come."

Neil L Andersen teaches: "We respect each person’s choice and timing. The Lord said, “Let every man choose for himself.” A person’s lack of interest need not diminish our bonds of friendship and love. "

In the book "The Glass Ocean" one character is bemoaning the fact that she was unable to save her alcoholic father.  She is playing through all of the what-if's desperately seeking something she missed.  She is counseled by her friend, "You absolutely cannot redeem another human being.  You just can't.  Only God can do that..... The only person whose behavior- whose goodness- you can control is your own. You just get up every day and do the best you can."

One of my favorite poems was written by William Earnest Henley while bedridden  as a young man for treatment of a debilitating disease in his bones.  He would end up with one leg amputated and went through a very dark period.  But even so, he found light in choosing his approach to his difficulties.  You may recognize his powerful words:

Out of the night that covers me

Black as the pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance,

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll,

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

He references the strait gate mentioned in Matthew and acknowledges punishments and consequences that can't be separated from their associated actions.  He also freely acknowledges the difficulties that have afflicted him.  But he sees the freedom in his ability to choose.  

Whether things are dark and hope seems distant, or things seem at ease and blessings bountiful, we can always choose- but only for ourselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement