Rejoice With Those Who Rejoice



 Yesterday afternoon the girls were out walking their dogs.  We also are in the middle of a yard project that removed a lot of our grass.  

While they were gone it started to rain fairly heavily.  When they returned and walked across the construction zone they came in dripping wet and the dogs shook off spraying water all over the kitchen.  Then they bolted through the house leaving a trail of muddy paw prints behind them as they headed for the couches.

I sighed and we began cleaning up the mess even as the girls shivered in their wet clothes.

Alex glanced at her phone which had multiple friends posting on social media about the beautiful rainbows in the area.  I looked outside but only saw dark grey clouds and gloomy rain. 

Alex commented, "I guess some people got rainbows and we got the wet dogs and mud."

Isn't life like that?  At those moments isn't it easy to forget about all the rainbows you've seen in the past? 

As I looked at the mess, with the smell of wet dog mixing with the mystery smell we've been trying to identify and eliminate for five days, I definitely was asking "where is my rainbow."

But I caught myself.  I've been working on truly celebrating with others.  

I know that empathy has two sides.  Sitting with others in their pain.  But also celebrating with them when they achieve or receive blessings.

Romans 12:15 teaches plainly, "Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep."

The celebrating doesn't come naturally for me for myself or for others.  For me it's one of the more selfish parts of my nature that I don't love.  Especially if it's something I would really like too.  Like pretty skies.  That I've literally posted about hundreds of times.  I know. 🤦‍♀️ I am so grateful for the example of my friends who truly succeed at this skill!

So I recognized the thought and stopped it.  But I know that stopping only works if I also build in the correct thought to replace it.  

I thought of one of the many people who had posted about their rainbows and picked my friend Tracy.  She is a generous giver who accepts and loves deeply.  She is always trying to serve others even when it pushes her out of her comfort zone.   She quietly practices her faith even when she is seeing those she loves hurting.  I quickly prayed. "Thank you, Lord, for sending Tracy a rainbow."

And with that the ugly feeling was gone and I was flooded with love and appreciation.  And I picked up the towel and got back to cleaning.  

And guess what? A few hours later there was a small rainbow in my back yard.  Not a full double one, and definitely not a super vibrant one but a little smile from God saying keep up the good work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement