Sunshine



 Fun fact about my husband.  He hates any hymn or song about sunshine.  I think maybe he  doesn't like the idea of forced cheerfulness.  

There is no sunshine in his soul.  

It won't make his pathway bright.

And he especially dislikes the image of skipping along scattering sunshine.

Sunshine just isn't his thing. 

In our family it's a running joke.

I may have told a couple of his friends who now send text messages with sun emojis to him when we sing those songs at church.  I appreciate these people.  Fortunately he still appreciates me. 😂

But here's the thing.  

He doesn't have to like the sunshine songs.  You don't have to like all the hymns for salvation.  You just don't.  When I have the chance I pick other songs rather than ones I know he doesn't like.  And he has taught me some of his favorites. 

But here's the other thing.  He hasn't called for the elimination of the sunshine hymns.  He is okay with me liking them and finding inspiration in them.  And when they come up on occasion he can grit his teeth and make it through.  Or focus on my smile and appreciate the joy it brings me. 

We both recognize that we are going to need lots of hymns and music styles and song options to find meaningful music for so many different people in this world. We can learn new and varied hymns without burning all the old. 

Sister Cheiko Okazaki called on the Saints to rejoice in our diversity.  "It is the diversity of colors in a spectrum that makes a rainbow. It is the diversity in our circumstances that gives us compassionate hearts. It is the diversity of our spiritual gifts that benefits the Church."

Revelations 7:9-10 contains a description of just what this should look like:

"After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;

And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb."

Can you picture it?  Can you see all the children of God, from all over the globe unifying their various languages and songs in tribute to the Savior?  

Now that brings sunshine to my soul, and it makes George smile too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement