Warnings

 


Several years ago I was at the temple with George and as we sat in the Celestial Room, in quiet contemplation, I offered a quick prayer.  It was a prayer I've grown accustomed to asking, "Lord, what do you want me to know or work on right now?"

I let my thoughts drift and after a few minutes picked up the Bible laying on the end table.  The soft white leather felt smooth as I flipped open the book and looked at the page it had opened to.  

1 Peter Chapter 2.  It wasn't a chapter I was very familiar with but I began reading.  Soon I came to verse 12:

"Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation."

And then verse 20:

"For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God."

I had the distinct impression I should read it again.  This was followed by the thought that I would sometime soon be in a situation where this would be needed.  I would be unfairly accused in spite of good and need to take it patiently.  Uggh. 

I wasn't interested in that and initially thought, well since He knows what's to come He can help me avoid it.  I determined to be very sure that as the scripture said my works, or my actions, would stand as a testimony in favor of my character.

For a couple of weeks I watched guardedly and then when nothing happened I decided maybe I had overblown the whole prompting and I let it go.

About two months after the initial incident, I was summoned to a meeting with my supervisor in which a coworker completely and falsely accused me of something.  I felt my defenses rise but then I thought of those words.  

I had been warned.  I knew this was coming.  I could bear it with patience.  My heart rate slowed and the tears of anger that had been welling up stayed back. 

I quietly listened and it wasn't fun but I handled it.  Not by myself but through the grace of the Savior and the calming present of the Spirit. He can help us do things that don't seem possible on our own.

Afterward, my supervisor said that she knew what was being said didn't match what she had seen.  She thanked me for my work and asked me to please try and work it out with that other person. 

That felt unfair.  But I prayed for her.  I prayed for me to see what if any part of the fault was mine and adjusted my own actions.  I made a conscious effort to serve her.  And we moved on. It still wasn't fair or accurate, but He helped me not make it a huge point of resentment which would have been my natural inclination. 

This week in D&C we read about the Saints heading to Zion in Missouri.  They get a message they weren't necessarily expecting or welcoming:

D&C 58:3-4 "Ye cannot behold with your natural eyes, for the present time, the design of your God concerning those things which shall come hereafter, and the glory which shall follow after much tribulation.

For after much tribulation come the blessings. Wherefore the day cometh that ye shall be crowned with much glory; the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand."

Sometimes revelation is not to warn us so we can avoid difficulties.  Sometimes it's letting us know so we can be ready.  So we don't wonder why.  So we know it's part of His plan.  That was my big lesson.  I learned that he will prepare me so that when difficulties arise I can say "Oh yeah, you said this would be hard.  I know I can't see the end.  But I trust you." 


Heavenly Father isn't just waiting to hand out lollipops when we follow a command.  He is guiding us through a refinement process.  It won't always be fun but we can know that He is with us.  And more importantly we can know as we study the scriptures that when we are going through difficulties such as this we are in fact following the call to follow Jesus.  Because He knows everything there is to know about suffering for injustices.  And he can give us a heads up and teach us how to handle it with grace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement