Words

 



I once went to get a haircut and as I sat in the stool, with the cape freshly secured, the stylist asked, "What are we going to be doing today?"  


Using my hand to indicate the length near my shoulder,  I replied, "I want it cut to here."


Unfortunately she wasn't paying close attention and heard, "I want it cut to my ear."


So she aggressively went to work with her scissors and in a few short clips I was left gasping and with the worst haircut of my life.  


It was so bad that when I walked into our house a short time later, four year old Colton pointed at me and fell to the floor laughing hysterically.


I survived.  My hair grew back.  But words and how we listen to them matter.  


When it is the word of the Lord we fail to listen to and embrace, the results can sometimes be catastrophic,  and it often starts with subtleties. Conversely, when we listen closely to the word of the Lord and use it as our guide we can be assured of safe passage. 


In D&C 63, the Saints are reminded of this important lesson.


Verse 1:

Hearken, O ye people, and open your hearts and give ear from afar; and listen, you that call yourselves the people of the Lord, and hear the word of the Lord and his will concerning you.


We have to open our hearts, and be asking what HE wants for us to do, not just telling him what WE want him to do.


Verse 5:

Behold, I, the Lord, utter my voice, and it shall be obeyed.


His expectation is that we are obedient to His words. 


Finally in verse 64:

Remember that that which cometh from above is sacred, and must be spoken with care...


His words must not be casually considered but listened to and carefully followed.


Words matter, but especially the holy words of the Lord as revealed in the scriptures and through the prophets. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement