Polishing



 My friend was at the dunes this weekend and found this broken piece of a plate washes up among the seashells.  The plate I am sure shattered at some point  and was battered into the sand and rocks by the crashing waves, over and over again.  With time the edges softened and smoothed until this beautiful piece remained.

It's not a full plate anymore but it sure made my friend's day yesterday and reminded her (and me!) that the crashing waves of life do indeed have the potential to soften our sharp edges.  


Right now my own crashing waves are feeling uncomfortably difficult and daunting and sometimes it feels like I will never get out of the rocks.  


But I do know that adversity strengthens us and is a necessary part of life.  That I can be grateful for the lessons learned, if not the suffering along the way. 

Ronald E Poelman counseled, "Adversity in the lives of the obedient and faithful may be the consequence of disease, accidental injury, ignorance, or the influence of the adversary. To preserve free agency, the Lord also at times permits the righteous to suffer the consequences of evil acts by others. (See  1 Ne. 18:16)

Some may respond to such innocent suffering with resentment, anger, bitterness, doubt, or fear. (See  1 Ne. 17:20).  Others, with a knowledge and testimony of the divine plan of salvation, often respond with faith, patience, and hope born of that “peace … which passeth all understanding.”  Philip. 4:6–7

It's up to me.  And I choose Christ and his mercy and love to help me through it.  No, I might not seem as capable of as much when my plate seems broken, but with some polishing I can still find and share joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement