Turbulence



 Last week I needed to make a quick trip home for some training meetings for work.  My flight from Las Vegas to South Bend went through some storms.  It was a red eye flight that had then been additionally delayed so I was extremely tired.  

It was the most turbulent flight I have ever been on and sleep was thus very difficult.  At one point as the plane felt like it was being tossed around and lightning flashed wildly outside our window, I took in the passengers around me.  Some were sick from the violent motion, some were gripping their seats in terror and some were crying.  

But the toddler behind me just kept holding on to her mom and watching her Dora the Explorer movies on her iPad.  I do wish they had used headphones, but the child was unfazed by the potential dangers. She trusted the arms she was in completely. 

I was also unconcerned, partially because I was too tired for deep thought, but I just had the comforting thought that God was aware and what would happen would happen. 

D&C 84:116 contains a beautiful promise:

Let him trust in me and he shall not be confounded; and a hair of his head shall not fall to the ground unnoticed.

It doesn't say no hairs will fall.  It says it won't be unnoticed.  It also says that as we trust Him we will be able to work through our difficulties and questions with out being lost in confusion.

President Ezra Taft Benson further explained, "Our Heavenly Father is continually mindful of us. It is his "work and glory" to make the exaltation of man possible. The course which he has outlined is simple, yet able to make men's stature reflect confident living free from fear. Hear his words:

Let him trust in me and he shall not be confounded  D&C 84:116

So, my brethren and sisters, there may come persecution; there may come opposition; there may come reverses; there may come criticism and misrepresentation. Your motives may be questioned. You may be attacked. But if we place our trust in the Almighty and do that which is right, there will come an inner assurance, an inner calm, a peace that will bring joy and happiness to our souls."

That peace can be ours no matter how turbulent the ride may feel.  We can be assured that He is there no matter what.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement