What I Can Control

 


With wedding preparations in high gear this week, I have had lots of opportunities to watch and hear others as well as myself be very focused on how we will look.  

It's quite natural for an event such as this, but as I was bemoaning an extra rash on my cheeks this week, my good friend reminded me of this brilliant quote by Jeffrey R Holland. 

"I suppose no one is as handsome or as beautiful as he or she wishes, or as brilliant in school or as witty in speech or as wealthy as we would like, but in a world of varied talents and fortunes that we can’t always command, I think that makes even more attractive the qualities we can command—such qualities as thoughtfulness, patience, a kind word, and true delight in the accomplishment of another. These cost us nothing, and they can mean everything to the one who receives them."

There are certainly things which I would be wise to do to improve my physical self, but there are also many I don't have as much control over.  But I can always work (note the word requires effort!) at becoming more patient, kind and appreciative.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement