Dignity

 


There are many times when I can't answer calls for help.  When I know I don't meet expectations- at work, socially, in my home.  It's those times I am most thankful for those who help pick up my slack.  Because if it was all on me; if ANYTHING was all on me, we would be in serious trouble.  


But occasionally a call comes that I can answer.  One of these happened today.   I had just had a nice lunch with my friend Carla, and was feeling recharged.  I don't connect as much as I could and it was a good reminder.  As I drove home I got a text asking for help.


 An elderly woman needed assistance.  


I didn't know her but the call came and it was on a day of my fall break that I could push other things aside and assist.  So I went.  I ignored my laptop and my to-do list and I headed to the hospital. 


Where I tried to explain to the staff that I didn't actually know the lady but her son had asked me to come and get her.  


No, I didn't actually know her son, I have never met him.  He belongs to my church.  Yes, I know he lives in Tennessee, and we are in different congregations but we go to the same church.


The incredulous look on the social worker's face made me chuckle.  Sometimes the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints brings that response.  Sometimes in moments like this I get a brief glimpse of what He might be trying to get us to see and do. 


The details of what I did don't matter.  What this sweet woman taught me do.  So often it is while serving others that I learn from the Spirit.  IF I am humble and willing to learn.


Tonight I am reminded that while I have many responsibilities and tribulations, when I ask for relief it often comes in ways I least expect.  Sometimes by being called to help another.


Matthew 25:37-40

"Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."


Sometimes asking what would Jesus do also means we then get to feel what Jesus would feel.  


Yes it's an inconvenience and yes I could have done other things- but seriously, offering humans the dignity that they deserve has to be the best possible way to show Heavenly Father our gratitude and love.  Hopefully the more I work on it, the better I will get.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement