Singing On Key





 I learned something from a music teacher today.  She explained how when kids are trying to vocally match a pitch, it is easier in small groups than individually.  

I found this fascinating that all of their deviations whether flat or sharp tend to cancel each other out and help guide them all toward the desired pitch.  While it's not a perfect science, I found it beautiful that together they make up for each other's flaws as they try to match the pitch pipe.  

I think that is a great analogy to our lives and how we come together in families, friendships and congregations.  Our weaknesses can actually be balanced by others' if we allow it.  We can subtly learn and adjust from one another and begin to come into tune.  But only if we are also listening to the perfect pitch from the Savior and using that as our source.  If I think that just finding someone else who sings like me  is enough and stop checking in for that true pitch, I can quickly find myself singing far off key, even if it's now in a sizable choir.  

Similarly, it does no good to shout at the others that they are off key.  It is far better to just keep singing the song and all trying to match. 

Bishop Robert L Simpson wisely counseled, "We are all in together and, I hope, trying to do better each day. Let us all try to help one another with shortcomings. To criticize and run down is to aid the adversary in his plan of destruction."

I am thankful for the many small groups in my life who help balance my imperfections and encourage me to sing with love and beauty together as we look to the Savior.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement