Ministering Matters



 I don't believe in coincidences.

I found myself earlier this week on my knees asking Heavenly Father if I really made a difference.

I tend to overamplify the voices that point out my flaws and ways I haven't measured up, instead of those that affirm and build up.  That negativity bias is a real thing- it has been proven that we give much more weight to negative experiences than positive ones.

Knowing it is one thing.  Combatting it is another.

But I found answers coming in several ways.  Through texts of appreciation.  Online messages and gifts that warmed my heart.  Kind words from coworkers. New ways of looking at things.  Even challenges to step into new circles and look more closely at some of those flaws.  They are real, after all.  

And today in a card that explicitly answered my prayer word for word.

And on the very same day another loved friend sent me a link to a powerful message given by Julie Valentine,  a forensic nurse and professor at BYU.  In her words of hope and healing for those who have survived sexual assault and abuse, she talked about the shared responsibility we all have to help survivors and others bloom. She says, "May we use our influence and strength to uplift, sustain and heal one another. Small, seemingly insignificant actions such as saying, ‘I am there for you’ or ‘you matter to me’ or just sitting in companionable silence all make a difference. May we reflect God’s love to those who have forgotten what they are capable of and who they are.”

So maybe some will tell you your actions aren't enough.  They are too small.  They fail to meet the mark. Or perhaps they won't even recognize them at all.  

Just keep loving and serving.  

And to the hundreds of you to whom I could have sent this very same card today.  

Thank you.  Your ministering matters.  It matters to Jesus.  And it matters to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement