Mud



I walked in the door to one super whiny dog whimpering and jumping up on me in obvious distress.  I know that particular sound well.  


He literally acts like he is dying and runs back and forth from the various windows to see what he could be potentially missing outside.


"Did Ella take Jett on a walk?"


"Yes, and Onyx is very upset to have been left behind."  


I slipped my tennis shoes back on and grabbed his leash.  


Then I paused at the door step.  It was 53 degrees outside.  A blissfully welcome temperature for a February day.  But the six inches of snow and ice we got over the weekend had to go somewhere as it melted.  I looked out at the field and debated going back in to change into my boots.  


But Onyx tugged at the leash with the force of a small army and I decided I would "just be careful." 


It literally took 30 seconds for my feet to be soaking wet.  And that melting snow and ice meant it was a FREEZING soaking wet.  


And then we headed across the field and soon I was sinking ankle deep in the mire.  


Shockingly enough, I hadn't been able to cross the muddy, melting fields and keep my feet dry.  No matter how "careful" I was.


I could try to blame the dog.  Or George for not stopping me.  Or maybe the weatherman but that is all ridiculous.  It was my fault. 


Sometimes in life we end up in other muddy situations despite our best intentions and efforts.  


But far more often we end up in the mud for foolishly disregarding the warnings around us. 


Sister Elaine Cannon explained, "We are like children walking a path in the rain. We can walk in or around the mud of life as we desire, but with our choices come the consequences. And we are rapidly becoming what we are choosing to be for all eternity.

Spiritual maturity is understanding that we cannot blame anybody else for our actions. Some factors may make it harder for us to perform according to God’s plan for us, but being accountable for how we use our agency means being answerable for our own behavior." 


We can't control the actions of others, but we can to a great extent control the environment we choose to be in.  We can't expect to trek through the mud and keep our feet dry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement