The Part I Can

 



When I woke up to blue skies and sparkly white snow glistening in the sun, I could feel my spirits lifting.  I told my husband I was going to head out on a walk to capture some of the magical wonderland through my lens.


Only it hurt to walk to the kitchen.  And my body was exhausted. And my balance was very precarious.  And my right eye's vision was still completely blurry. 


It's my fault.  When I filled my weekly pill organizer last week I had noticed I only had enough of my new medicine to last four days.  


But then I forgot.  And didn't call in the refill. 


The good news is the medicine is working!  It keeps my nerve endings much calmer and lowers the inflammation in my joints and brain and eyes.  Like it's supposed to.  


But it doesn't work if I don't take it....


I also didn't realize how quickly and detrimentally my body would respond to the lack of it.  Which was reinforced by my doctor sending in the refill within the hour rather than the usual 3-5 days needed for her to respond. 


So I'm back on it, but it will take a day or two to be back to the full benefits.  Which means a long winter walk won't be happening today. 


And so I sat down and had a little pity party for myself which really didn't do much to help.  It just made me feel worse. 


And then I had the thought that there would be other snowfalls and I took the time to go back and look at some of the pictures from past times I have gone.  And thinking about wading in knee deep snow and the solitude of the woods under that insulating blanket made me smile. 


Perhaps that's one reason we are encouraged to journal and record our histories- so that we can look back at blessings that perhaps we aren't feeling or experiencing right now. And have hope for them to come again in the future. 


And then I thought about the fact that while it would be foolish to try and head out to the trail today, I could still enjoy the views from

my windows.  So I grabbed my camera and watched the dogs play in the snow, the glittering field of white diamonds and the contrast of the white snow on the evergreens across the street.  


It was a good reminder that just because I can't do ALL of something doesn't mean I can't enjoy the part I CAN. 


Elder Joseph B Worthlin, when ruing the fact that he could no longer run as fast as he once had affirmed this same idea. "To do what I can is all my Heavenly Father now requires of me. And it is all He requires of you, regardless of your disabilities, limitations, or insecurities."


Don't get hung up on perfection or give in to the discouragement that we can't obtain the whole prize.


Do the part you can.  And it's my experience that the beauty and wonder even within that simplicity will bring you joy. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement