On Sunday I was taking notes during Sacrament meeting and attempted to write down this quote from Marion G Romney. "Service is the very fiber of which an exalted life in the celestial kingdom is made." But when I typed it into my phone, it autocorrected exalted to exhausted. It made me laugh because there are times when service can indeed leave me feeling exhausted. I pondered on what makes it exalting and what makes it exhausting. Exalted means to lift higher, to a more noble character. I think that means focusing more on the spiritual principles than necessarily the temporal presentation of the service. It also means aligning it with our own abilities, and availabilities. Kathleen Hughes counseled, "Sometimes we are our own worst enemies. Let’s simplify. The message of a good lesson comes through spiritual preparation. Let’s put our focus on the principles of the gospel and on the material in our study guides. Let’s prepare to cr...
As we were driving to Indianapolis last week, Kyrie and Ella were sitting next to me and commenting on how unorganized my phone apps were. Some were duplicated and they knew I sometimes had trouble finding things. I simply hadn't gotten around to, which means MADE TIME FOR, that organizational process. So I handed them my phone and let them get to work. They deleted apps I no longer used - like the MyVerizon app because we changed providers four years ago 😬- and renamed my groups. This they did with a witty, humorous flair. Health and Fitness became "At Least You Tried". Maps became "Probably Gonna Get Lost Anyway". I contributed the name for social media as "Fellowshipping". We laughed and I thanked them but then as I looked at the groups I paused and thought about how I use my time and specifically how I let my phone dictate my time use. And I rearranged the groups. I moved "Jesus Stuff" to the first ...
"Hearken, and lo, a voice as of one sent down from on high, who is mighty and powerful, whose going forth is unto the ends of the earth, yea, whose voice is unto men—Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight." D& Prepare ye the way of the Lord. So how do we prepare? This answer really resonated with me in its simplicity and yet its completeness. Elder John Longden described someone who is prepared in this way. "The gospel of Jesus Christ is their way of life, and it is that simple." Is the gospel of Jesus Christ my way of life every day? If it is I will be ready for meeting the Savior whether it's at His return to earth, or my return to Him.
Comments
Post a Comment