Plans

 



It was a beautiful sunny day today and our Stake Leadership had put together a wonderful Day of Sisterhood for us at a camp in Michigan.


Ella really wanted to go and so even though I was tired and dragging, we drove up together.  


It was a good feeling to be together with so many good women.  There were multiple classes and activities to choose from.


After the first class on letting God prevail in our lives, I headed outside with my camera with a plan to hike around a bit and then perhaps head out on the water.


I only had enough energy to make it to a swing and gently rock back and forth.  I snapped a few pictures and for a moment felt some discouragement, frustration and jealousy of those around me setting out in the kayaks and canoes, or giggling together as they headed down the paths.


But I quickly caught myself and offered a prayer of gratitude for the beautiful surroundings and a moment of peace to myself.  I felt a reassurance that I am loved and pulled a book from my backpack and quietly began to read as I felt the cool breeze and warm sunshine heal me. 


I quickly became engrossed in my novel, a story of courage and resilience of two people who have survived a plane crash in the wilderness.  


Their ability to draw on previous knowledge and experiences is powerful and I found myself stepping into the situation with them and pondering how I would respond.  At one particular moment, the lead character points out that their situation is dire, but dire can become doable with a proper survival plan.


I thought of the parallel in my own life and the many times life has been difficult and how I have responded.  


I also thought of the endless mercy and grace that has been offered to me by my Heavenly Parents. 


No, I am not in a physical wilderness, but we are all in a spiritual wilderness all the time.  We also have physical challenges, which may not be caused by a plane crash, but are every bit as real.  Sometimes we may be in an emotional wilderness.  


In every situation a survival plan will benefit us.  


In the book, he first assessed what tools and necessities they already had.  He created tools for procuring food and building a sled of sorts to move the other injured passenger.

Then he used his compass to establish a point-to-point route.  


He checked the compass for his direction, identified a landmark in view along that bearing and then used the landmark as his next destination.  Upon arrival he repeated, also aligning with the last mark to assure his direction was on course. 


I felt a warm reassurance that in the same way I have been divinely guided before, making a survival plan for this next season will be of great value.


I can look around and see who and what are available to assist me.  And what I CAN do and control.  I have adjusted my diet.  I get enough sleep.  I have learned to better prioritize. 


Elder Robert D Hales promised, "Like the brother of Jared, we must carefully consider the needs of our family members, make a plan to meet those needs, and then take our plan to the Lord in prayer. This will require faith and effort on our part, but He will help us as we seek His assistance and do His will."


I can continually align my path with scripture and divinely inspired guidance.  I can lean not to mine own understanding. I can set small goals and move point-to-point when I'm unsure of the final destination. 


And sometimes it's okay to rock on the swing instead of hiking or paddling.  


Once again I found joy and blessing for answering invitations to be a part of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  


And for that I am thankful. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement