Opposition

 


Milo of Crotin  was an Olympic wrestling champion in Ancient Greece who according to legend could carry and adult bull.  This was accomplished by starting to carry the bull as a newborn calf and continuing each day until it was grown.   As the weight increased, so did his strength. 


Sometimes we think "hard" is the burden we pay for being here in this life.  


And yes,  at times that is true.  But that hard also serves a purpose.  


Opposition isn't just a thing we have to go through or that tries to stop us, it actually changes us.


2 Ne 2:11 teaches us that there will be opposition in all things, so why does it continually catch us by surprise? We have actually been told to expect it. 


This should remind us that opposition doesn't mean we should quit, in fact it's the opposite. 


Of course Satan also likes opposition to anything of Christ and  God or that which would make us truly better and happier. So we do need to make sure our goals are aligned with the teachings of Jesus Christ. 


But when I go to yoga class to increase my core strength and balance, I am going to feel clumsy and weak BEFORE I can feel strong.


When I set a goal to save money, there are going to be times when it feels not-so-fun and like I'm missing out or maybe even poor BEFORE my savings start to build.


When I start to work on difficult issues and traumas it may well feel painful BEFORE I feel the healing taking place.


When I set goals to make better choices and decrease snacking I am going to feel hungry and have cravings BEFORE I feel more energy. 


When I work on getting up earlier to create time for scripture study, I am going to feel tired BEFORE I feel inspired and my body adjusts. 


"Through all mortal opposition, we have God’s assurance that He will “consecrate [our] afflictions for [our] gain”  2 Nephi 2:2".

(Dallin H Oaks)


Often an increase in opposition means we have a chance to get even stronger. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement