Gratitude

 



The other day as we walked back into school from a fire drill, a first grader pointed out a bird nest above the door.


"Mrs. Potter," she started, "I sure am glad I don't live in a bird nest, aren't you?"


Yes!  Yes I am.  


Not one time have I ever shared my gratitude that I don't live in a nest. Or even thought about it. 


I don't have to huddle down and keep the wind or heat off us.


I don't have to use the yard and my nest for a restroom. 


I have room to safely move around in my home.


Yes I have problems and frustrations.  


Yes I have overdue bills, medical concerns, work frustrations, cars that need to be fixed, loneliness at some times, exhaustion at others.  That's all called life. 


But even with all of that and it's true feelings, I can still be grateful that I don't live in a nest. 


President Bonnie D Parkin reminded, "Gratitude requires awareness and effort, not only to feel it but to express it. Frequently we are oblivious to the Lord’s hand. We murmur, complain, resist, criticize; so often we are not grateful. In the Book of Mormon, we learn that those who murmur do not know “the dealings of that God who … created them.” 3  1 Nephi 2:12 The Lord counsels  not to murmur because itis then difficult for the Spirit to work with us."


Showing and expressing gratitude is one of the ways we can increase the ability to let the Spirit work within us.


So today I am grateful I don't live in a nest. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement