Real Hugs Count

 





It had been more than 13 years.  


13 years since we had spoken, corresponded, or really done much more than the occasional social media like or love.


There have been graduations, illnesses, weddings, and lots of new gray hairs on both sides.  


Then a few months ago, she excitedly shared her impending grandparenthood. 


The hope and joy of a new generation, hopefully with some healing as well.  


And then an e-invite to attend a baby shower. 


"You should go."  


What? Where did that thought come from?  It is a busy time of year and weekends are my worst times.  It would literally make me sicker to fit in a trip like that.  I brushed it off and went to click "decline". 


"You should go."  There it was again.  


I have learned not to ignore that voice.  I still do sometimes, I'm not perfect, but I knew I had a prompting.  And so I clicked "maybe".


I arranged for my daughter to travel with me and secured lodgings. 


Winter storms came through and moved basketball game schedules and work responsibilities for my daughter, so I was now on my own. 


The trip took 6 hrs to get there, with segments in near white outs and 18 mph traffic but I made it safely.


I stopped to shop and carefully selected baby clothing thinking about our 9 years of shared time raising children.  Somehow this little girl who was once in my home daily, was now about to become a momma herself.  


I remembered the tears and laughter of shared parenting moments and this friend's acceptance and appreciation of me. 


But 13 years is SO long!! Was I on a fool's errand? Who does this?  I  literally would know NO ONE but the mom-to-be and her parents at this elegant event.


I had lots of quiet reflection and some much louder singing to some of my favorites as I drove across the state of Ohio.  


When I arrived, I picked up my gift and slowly entered the hall bursting with light blue bouquets of balloons and flowers.  


And then I caught my friend's eye and in a fraction of a second we were locked in a hug as tears streamed down her face.


"Thank you for coming."


And suddenly it wasn't such a far drive at all.  


I've hosted parties when my house was bursting at the seams.


And I've hosted parties when no one showed up.  


Multiple times.  In every place we've lived. 


I didn't know that three of their close friends would cancel last minute.  


That this would be yet another event in a string of disappointments, starting with their daughter's 9 year old birthday party at the bowling alley- when, that's right NOT ONE student came.  


I just knew I was supposed to go.  


And I'm so glad I did. 


Not just for her, although of course I was happy to do it.  


But because real hugs count.  And it refilled me too.  


There were quiet moments of awkwardness in a room full of strangers.  But it was worth it. 


Sister Becky Craven shared, "In a world so much in need of peace, our gentle words, our acts of compassion and kindness can be the means of wrapping another in a warm, swaddling blanket. I have come to understand that the more we act on promptings to serve others, the more heavenly blankets the Lord gives us to share. What promptings have you received? Who do you know that is in need of a heavenly hug? Our personal or virtual touch may make all the difference in the life of a loved one or even a stranger."


In my experience we aren't often prompted to drive that far for a couple hours at a baby shower.  


But we may be well asked to do something that seems hard, inconvenient or perhaps less appealing than another choice.  


It is my testimony that the blessings that come in return will far outweigh the sacrifice.  And as we seek to better become His hands, we become exponentially better at seeing His hands in our own lives.  


Which means if we are needing our own Heavenly Hug, all we have to do is look around and listen for who needs one from us. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement